Petrovsky Putevoy Palace
Architectural complex of the Palace was built according to the order of Catherine II by the architect Matvey Kazakov in 1776-1780. The Palace was intended to be the overnight station for persons of distinction when they travelled from St. Petersburg to Moscow.
In the Soviet times the Palace housed military educational institution. During this period the complex was greatly distorted.
At present the Palace is situated within the limits of Moscow. Behind the Palace there is a preserved part of Petrovsky park laid out in the beginning of the 19th century.
On March 5, 2009, Petrovsky Putevoy Palace was opened after a ten-year restoration. At present the official name of the Palace is the Guest House of the Mayor’s Office with elements of hotel facilities (according to www.rg.ru/2008/09/04/dvorec.html).
Alexander Levchenko (first deputy Chief Executive Officer of Moscow department of town planning) said that it was not possible to preserve the whole parquet flooring in the Palace. In course of time the wood flooring became decrepit and fragile, walking on such flooring was dangerous. Timber beams, though they are 200 years old already, will remain as they are still strong (http://www.stroi.ru/).
According to Alexander Antonychev (chief of restoration works at Petrovsky Putevoy Palace): "the Palace will remain a cultural and architectural monument as it was… Interior design of the central housing remained as it looked before. Artistic parquet in each hall was restored according to ancient drawings thoroughly selecting the wood species and design patterns (http://archi.ru/events/news/news.html ).
Parquet production and installation works were accomplished by the company Art Parquet. The works were carried out during a year, total area of reconstructed flooring was 2700 sqm. The task was to "not to change anything created by our predecessors".