The Palace of Congresses
The complex is situated on the south shore of the Gulf of Finland near the river Strelka, 19 km from St. Petersburg. The complex appeared in the 18th — first half of the 19th centuries.
Till 1917 the emperor’s family obtained the residence. During the World War II the complex in Strelna was practically completely destroyed. Only the palace walls were left standing.
The "Palace of Congresses" was restored. Till 1990s it was a place for geophysical and radio-technical departments, naval senior division and library of Leningrad Arctic College. After the College was closed the Palace belonged to different companies. The building was in decline in the Soviet period already, it was on the brink of complete destruction. The restoration of the Palace began in 2000.
The "Palace of Congresses" combines in itself functions of the state residence in St. Petersburg, historical-cultural reserve and business centre. The Palace is open for holding summits, conferences, talks, meetings, scientific and political forums, exhibitions and trade shows.
Art Parquet carried out restoration works in the Talks pavilion of the "Palace of Congresses":
Ceremonial hall (240 m2)
Banquet hall (170 m2)
The Talks pavilion is rethinking and modern development of the idea of "Water castle" by Jean-Baptiste Alexandre Le Blond. Its central hall in the shape of atrium was designed by the architect for the grand sculpture composition "Neptune in the chariot". According to Le Blond’s project the dome of the hall that served an observation site from outside was supported by pillars. Around the pond there was a roundabout gallery with niches and cascades.
According to Le Blond’s plan when the sun was high and the sunbeams got into the atrium the sculpture should flash.
In the modern decoration of the Function hall a philosophic conception of flow of time is reflected. In the centre of the hall there is a rotunda on art marble pillars. The pillars are surrounded by a gallery lighted with the top light that creates unusual optical effects. The subject of the dome painting repeats the famous fresco "Aurora" (1614) by Guido Reni in Rospiliosi-Palavicini in Rome.
The Function hall is joined by the fourchette hall, studies for meetings’ participants, rooms for work for their parties, technical specialists and reporters. Winding stairs lead from the lobbies of the Pavilion to the observation site situated on the roof. This site affords a panoramic view across the Palace complex (according to www.konstantinpalace.ru/).
Architects working out interior designs offered parquet flooring designs according designs of the 18th century. For flooring in the Pavilion there were chosen such wood species as oak, walnut, maple, merbau. The use of opaque colourless lacquer allowed the specialists to preserve expressive properties of the wood surface and to reproduce the aesthetics of the flooring.