In the course of due care and adherence to specifications the durability of decorative flooring made of wood is from 70 to 100 years and even more.
Main factors that result in deterioration of aesthetic and strength properties of parquet flooring are as follows:
- deviation from normal temperature-humidity (climate) conditions;
- mechanical effects (mainly sharp footings of furniture, stilettos, dirt and dust getting on the flooring surface);
- water impact.
Optimal indices of climatic regime in the premises:
1. humidity from 40% to 65% (hygrometer – a device that measures air humidity in the premises);
2. temperature from 18 to 24°С.
If the humidity level is high, wood absorbs moisture, parquet planks widen and their edges rise. Parquet flooring warps. If the humidity level is low, parquet planks’ dimensions decrease, gaps appear between planks. In summer in order to reduce the humidity level it is necessary to air the premises as often as possible. In winter in order to increase the humidity level it is necessary to use a humidifier or open basins with water (e.g. indoor fountain or big aquarium).
It should be noted that a correct combination of materials and professional accomplishment of parquet works help to minimize changes in geometry of parquet elements as a result of negative influence of climate changes in the premises.
To protect parquet flooring from mechanical effect of furniture it is necessary to apply felted taps, silicone casters or special carpets.
At the entrance door there should always be a carpet with the help of which it is possible to clean the shoes from moisture, sand and other abrasives that facilitate the appearance of scratches and cracks. Dirty and shoe marks are removed by a well-drained cloth.
Intensive humidity should not affect the parquet flooring (e.g. during wet cleaning or when the windows are open). In case water gets to parquet flooring it must be immediately removed.
Main service instructions for parquet flooring
Finishing (lacquer or oil) fulfills protective and decorative functions of flooring made of natural wood. At present there are means that are designed for constant treatment of parquet flooring and for cleaning great dirt. It is advisable to use care line of the same manufacturer as finishers are.
Multilayer covering of the surface by lacquer. In this case there appears polymeric film that protects flooring from moisture attack and mechanical loadings and preserves the colour of the wood. However, lacquer film is subject to abrasion. In course of time micro scratches and local roughness appear on the lacquer film.
In order to restore original appearance finishing can be re-sanded in 8-10 years by sanding machines and then lacquered once again.
Parquet oils fill the pores in the surface layer of the wood, prevent moisture and dirt from penetrating, strengthen the wood and make the texture of the wood look more distinct. Due to lack of external protective layer in places of maximum loading the wood wears off quicker, the so-called "paths" (sections of wood of natural colour that differ from wood covered with oil) appear.
In order to restore original appearance and to remove mechanical damage the finishing should be refreshened once a year:
|– cleaning (vacuum cleaning and wet cleaning with a well-drained cloth);|
– wet cleaning is carried out with the help of special maintenance detergents that are poured into water (Velurex Polish WT).
|– cleaning (vacuum cleaning and wet cleaning with a well-drained cloth); |
– wet cleaning is carried out with the help of special maintenance detergents containing wax that are poured into water (Lios Talita).
|– neutral detergents for lacquered floors (Velurex Cleaner Star);|
– wet cleaning is carried out with the help of special concentrate maintenance detergents that are poured into water (Velurex Polish WT).
– neutral detergents for oiled floors (Lios Kronos);
–oil application on affected section of flooring;
– wet cleaning is carried out with the help of special concentrate maintenance detergents that are poured into water (Lios Talita).